It has been ages since I have blogged about progress, and almost as long since I worked upstairs. I started grad school in January and recently decided it wasn’t for me, so I am back to work on the house.
Before I started school, I had a few months to continue work upstairs, so I thought I would post a summary of earlier progress and where I’m headed. Once I get back into it, the details will come back to me and I can share some of my tricks.
Still dizzy on the fumes of successfully finishing the back bedroom, I started stripping paint in the small “former kitchen” which continued out into the hall when I realized that the paint was peeling off of the shellac in large strips. Unfortunately, this just left a sticky layer that had to be removed with Citristrip, denatured alcohol, and elbow grease.
Of course I didn’t realize this until I had peeled the whole hallway (it was kind of addictive). So the hallway and the former kitchen got stripped, sanded and stained together and now look like this, or at least the wood does.
The picture on the left gives clues about two other things we did. If you notice, there is no longer a kitchen linoleum floor in the “former kitchen”. In order to get down to the bottom of the baseboards, we removed peel and stick tile, vinyl flooring, a subfloor and finally an old orange linoleum that was glued directly to the floorboards. There were also the hundreds of tiny staples that were used by a rabid staple gun user every 1/2″ or so to attach the subfloor. A modified staple remover, heat gun and knee pads were the final solution, but that was a lot of work.
And if that weren’t enough, during the process of stripping paint off the trim, the stripper managed to loosen the layers of wallpaper around the frame and I thought I should remove the wallpaper. Come to find out, the first layer of wallpaper was attached using clay, and I still haven’t washed the plaster well enough to begin repairs. There is wallpaper on the ceiling too, but I am afraid to know what is under it. I think repairing cracks on the ceiling will be terrible.
So in addition to that, I also managed to strip the paint from everything but the doors in the front bedroom before the weather, our trip to Japan and the holidays consumed the time remaining before school started.
I am planning to spend the next week cleaning and organizing the downstairs living area before
- Stripping the paint off the front bedroom and closet doors
- Sanding the doors and trim in the front bedroom
- Staining and applying polyurethane on the doors and trim
- Sanding and painting front bedroom, closet walls and ceiling
- Cleaning and refinishing the hardware to said doors
- Cleaning and repairing the walls in the “former kitchen”
- Sanding and painting walls in the “former kitchen”
- Replacing attic stairs with modern pull down stairs
- Sanding and painting hallway
- Installing exhaust fan for upstairs bathroom
- Finding someone to refinish the floors upstairs
Don’t worry, it’s not so bad. I’ll let you know how it goes.